A reminder to all that the Kinship Navigator has a number of valuable resources related to COVID 19 and the kinship community located on its website, compiled for easy access. It has information like:
- Kinship Fact Sheet on COVID 19
- OTDA notice to LDSS on applying for benefits during this time
- State Education Dept Guidance on COVID 19
- Local Kinship Services practices/plans
- Fact sheets on Medical Consent, Telemedicine, and caregiving without going to court
You can access those resources by clicking HERE.
Action Steps for Federal Funding
Generations United, an advocacy organization in Washington DC, is helping to advocate for funding for kinship care to be included in the COVID-19 package. See below for their recent outreach, and please, reach out to your representatives.
Ask Congress NOW to include help for kinship families in the next COVID-19 package. Contact your member of Congress now through the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121. You can find your member of Congress HERE.
When you reach the office of your member of Congress tell them:
Include help for grandparents and other relatives raising children in the next COVID-19 package by:
- Allowing grandparents or other relatives raising children (kinship families) to be eligible to receive Meals on Wheels for both themselves and their children.
- Provide an additional $20 million for kinship navigator programs to help deliver urgent supplies and support to kinship families.
- If you are a member of a kinship family, let them know how COVID-19 is impacting your family. If you are serving kinship families, tell them how this would help the families you serve.
Please stay safe during this trying time!